Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

FO Wednesday!!

Halt human! Come no closer to my damp woolly perch!

After forcible removal of the Lulu, this is what we see: a Faroese shawl from Folk Shawls, done in Marta's variegated 2-ply, on 2mm circs. Yes, you read that correctly. 2mm circs. I wanted to see what would happen if I knit a shawl with laceweight on tiny needles, and it turns out you get a smaller shawl. Woah. I honestly thought I'd get bored with this after a few rows, but I enjoyed it so much that I kept going and going and somewhat surprised myself by actually finishing it. It was claimed by Gibbering at our girl's night the other night - I was displaying the almost finished object, and Gibbering and E were oohing and aahing as was their duty. Gibbering asked what I was going to do with the finished object. I said I had no idea - as you know, I often don't know who something is for until I've finished it. You could see the wheels turning in Gibbering's head - "Wow! Nice colour! I wish I had a shawly thing in lovely greens! Hang on a minute...." Her eyes lit up and I was happy to promise it to her. Nothing like your handknits going to appreciative recipients!

I was asked the other day whether I would accept money for one of my shawls, or if I would allow a potential recipient to buy the yarn. I categorically refused. I enjoy the entire process so much - yarn buying, project planning, knitting, and the actuall giving of the gift - that to ask for money as well seems like sheer greed. I love to knit, and if someone gives me an excuse for knitting, so much the better!

Good thing for the day: Finished Object!
Bad thing for the day: Time to go to work. Ick.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ainsley said...

Oh ah - that's so purty. Very Gibbering in colour too. Lulu does right to guard it.

How do you knit so fast? I feel like the slowest knitting in the cosmos.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Sachi said...

Yay! That's just wonderful!!!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

That picture of Lulu and the caption is just spot on. I know she was quite upset to be ousted so rudely too.

Very pretty!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

What?! You're not saving that for Lulu???

9:24 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Lovely! And how generous of you!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Sydney Harper said...

What is it with cats and shawls while they are blocking. Katie does the same thing. The shawl turned out really nice. The colors are lovely.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home