Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Gibbering's Green Thing

The fat fluffy paws of death jealously guard the new finished object.

Yes, you read that correctly - a finished object!!! But you don't get to see more pictures until I've soaked it and blocked it. So there.

Friday night I had a girl's night with Gibbering and E, and spent a great deal of time lying upside down on the floor so that E's son N could joyously pummel my face and try very hard indeed to stuff rice cake into my mouth. That kid is excruciatingly cute.

Yesterday I went to one of our Seasonal Lunches. Every three months or so a group of us get together and have a long rambling drunken lunch. Various people volunteer to bring courses, and we have a rollicking good time. You know you've done a lunch right when the end of the second course sees everyone around the table posing for photos using silver spoons to imitate wombat noses....... We started with a wonderful onion soup with roqueforte bechamel croquettes, paired with a potato and garlic soup. Then Dave served three omelettes with various fillings (including porcini mushrooms, yum!) and fresh asparagus spears cooked in balsamic vinegar. Then came my legendary Vegie Lasagne. The greatest compliment that far in to a noisy tipsy lunch party was when complete silence fell around the table as the guests concentrated on devouring lasagne! Then there was violet sorbet, summer pudding, chocolate cake, creme brulee, and a cheese course.... ooooof. We waddled, but we made it out alive. Such a lovely afternoon - lots of friends, more bottles of wine than people, and a six hour lunch. And, while the others went for a walk between courses, I got to sit and knit! A plan with no drawbacks.

Today, poor Dave had to work, so I stayed home and did much housework. And knitting. And now Lulu is snuggled up on my lap. So it's all good.

I have been a bit quiet lately - I didn't think anyone had noticed, but Gibbering and E are very good at smacking me around a bit (wahey!) and pointing out that there are people who love me and worry about me and notice when I'm not as prolific in my posting as usual. I'm yet again struggling with the heinous depression monster. I always cop it badly when the seasons start to change, I have no idea why - I'm fidgety and exhausted at the same time, I want to throw out everything I own except Dave, the cats and my stash and start over. I have too much stuff. All my books suck and my knitting hates me and is plotting my downfall. I will get over it, and I will feel better, but I thought I owed you ragged lot an explanation for my sporadic posting recently!

Good thing for the day: sitting in the lounge curled up on the comfy couch in the afternoon with the windows open to catch the sweet late winter breeze, with cats hanging about, a good dvd playing, and a new knitting project.
Bad thing for the day: Pizza is about to arrive for dinner. But I'm too tired and down to appreciate it or even want to eat it. Goddammit!

8 Comments:

Blogger Sachi said...

Paws of death, indeed.

Congrats on the FO!!!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

An FO!!! Awesome. Can't wait for the pic of the actual O.

You have been quiet lately, sorry to hear it's that bad DM! I thought we sent them out for muffins? Speaking of muffins, that lunch sounds delicious.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, looking forward to seeing the FO, should the FFPoD release it to you!

Pooey about the SDM. I can SOOOOOO still relate. Argh. :(

But I've missed you, PeeveGirl. so we must soldier, we must.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Ainsley said...

*hugs*

I wish to be counted amongst those who love you and worry about you and notice when you don't post.

But I am also of the opinion that people shouldn't be hassled to blog, so I have kept silent.

8:44 AM  
Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

Yep, seasonal changes - especially Spring. I reckon the warmer weather and longer hours start off some sort of spring cleaning itch. You get fidgety, want to change/fix/clean out so much stuff in your life that ultimately it becomes too overwhelming and exhausting to do anything.

But I hate the spring-summer transition depression the most. It's the one where I know the long hours and heat are going to lead to a lot of sleep deprivation and being stuck inside, and there's nothing I can do about it. Oh, and the Dread of Christmas doesn't help at all.

Hope you feel better soon. Would it help if you tipped all your sock yarn on the bed then rolled in it?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Sydney Harper said...

And fine fat fluffy paws of death they are. :) Congrats on the FO! It looks good so far.

I've missed your blog posts. Can't we send the depression monster out on one of those hideous never ending errands?

10:11 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Big hugs and cat cuddles to you.

I wondered where you'd been and if you were ok so I'm glad you posted. Perhaps we should all come round and kick DM out once and for all.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See? We do all love you, so don't order out for worms just yet. Stick to the pizza. And a big, big hug, with an excited squeak from N for his Aunty. He's saved some rice cake just for you.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home