Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Shiny Mystery Yarn

I bought this yarn from ebay. The above is one strand - as you can see, wondrously splitty.

This is the label - Italian Straw knitting yarn. It's not straw, but it certainly looks kind of raffia-ish.

Because it's so splitty, though, it would be very easy to separate into single strands....

And I have thirteen skeins of it.

It was unusual, it was vintage, and it was cheap - AUD$20 for the lot plus postage. So, now the big question becomes - what in the name of all that's yarny do I do with it??

I think the mega splittiness would mean it would drive me out of my mind if I tried to knit straight from the skein. Winding it into single strands would be incredibly time consuming, but feasible.

It is a beautiful greeny olive colour, and it is lovely and shiny.

Any ideas?? Anyone??

9 Comments:

Blogger Pearls Mother said...

Scratch Lulu's lovely tummy
Have a large glass of wine
and
Put it in your Stash!!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I don't think I would separate it. Can you start making it into something, knitting it slowly (with other projects in between) so it doesn't drive you too crazy? It is lovely.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

It's gorgeous. Raffia-like? It sounds like hats or chair covers. I'd knit it up whole before I gave in and split it up too.

3:45 AM  
Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

Handbags, darling. Classy knit and crochet bags.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This yarn came out in 1961, and was considered very fashionable, as you could knit yourself a matched set of sunhat, summer top, and handbag.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lamp Shade (with tassles)? Oohooh - Place mats!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Is it drapey? If so, it would make a wonderful shawl of some sort either as it is or unplied (yes, I'm shawl crazy). Keep in mind that unplying is a major pain in the derriere. (Take it from someone who is currently unplying laceweight into a thinner laceweight. No one ever said I was sane.) But if you decide that's the yarn you want, it's totally worth the pain and the time. It is lovely and shiny.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Sydney Harper said...

I don't think I would unply the strand. I would be completely crazy if I tried that. If it looks like it had good drape, I would make a nice top or a shawl with it.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Ainsley said...

Anything but socks!!! :)

I like the handbag idea, but given that you have so much, the shawl could be the go.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home