Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

In Which I Relate a Sweet and Funny Story

Humph. Vomit under the desk indeed. Nope, that's it, I'm sulking......or snoozing.....I forget which is which.

A while ago I posted about my stepfather having a death in his family. His son died under very bad circumstances, and he has had a rough time dealing with it. On Saturday, they had a scattering of the ashes ceremony on my stepbrother's farm, which was an occasion fraught with tension due to the presence of my stepfather's Out-Of-Her-Fucking-Mind exwife. However, she behaved herself. The same cannot be said for my stepbrother's cat.

Some background: Minnie used to belong to my mum and stepdad, but they gave her to my stepbrother when they went off around Australia for a year. Minnie adapted blissfully to life on a multi acre property. Minne is a spectacularly beautiful silver tabby - just about the prettiest kitty I've ever laid eyes on. But, as is often the way of these things, Minnie is what we in Australia call "as thick as two short planks". Gorgeous, but nobody home.

Anyhoo, this is my mum's account of the ceremony, in which Minnie saw no reason why she should be left out of the proceedings:

"You will not be surprised to learn that Mini refused to be left out of things. Followed us all down to the area where the ashes burial was to be held (a very nice spot at *stepbrother's* place), and during the Vicar's nice words, Mini was investigating the hole awaiting the ashes, sniffing at the pile of dirt (I was terrified she was going to pee in the dirt), and then when the Vicar threw a handful of dirt on the little casket in the hole, Mini was about to jump in to chase the dirt when the Vicar threw her a piece of dirt of her own to play with. She then wandered about smooching up to everyone, and even ended up being sprinkled with holy water. *Stepfather's grandsons* were delighted and said that their father would have thought Mini was the best part of the whole service.

Now isn't that just the typical cat???

Good thing for the day: Only. Four. More. Working. Days. Until. Two. Weeks. Vacation.
Bad thing for the day: I have errands to run at lunchtime. A coworker is selfishly leaving to go to a better job and I will miss him. To that end, I am going out at lunchtime to buy him a nice bottle of absinthe. Trust me, he'll love it. He's freaky like that.

10 Comments:

Blogger Carrie K said...

Completely typical cat.

I love the cat perch you made, btw. Looks very precarious and comfy.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's a great story! My dad got married to his second wife outside at our (then) farm. There were these little pillows set out for them to kneel on during the ceremony. We have a great picture of one of the farm cats curled up on one of the pillows, pleased as punch, while my brother glowers over at him.

Hmm, my StR club package just arrived. I fear yours will arrive while you're on vacation! Do you have someone at Dave's work who can notify you if that happens??

7:35 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Hi Carrie! We didn't make the perch. It's a golden kitty rule, I think - if you find a perch somewhere up high, it's bound to be more comfortable due to the increased probability that you're not supposed to be up there.

Ooooh, I want my STR Club package!!! If it doesn't appear this week, I'm begging one of Dave's coworkers to let me know when it does and we'll come in and get it. I had a look at the contents on someone's blog, and I have informed Dave that we will have a new bumper sticker soon. He was....less than thrilled. Tough!

7:44 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

That's a great story! We were at pao's grandad's and mum's graveside yesterday when we saw a huge black and white pigeon-slaying monster. He wasn't too friendly but it made a sad day (anniversary) a little easier.

Meiko looks like she is hatching a dastardly plot on top of those egg boxes (I know I'm not funny :-)).

8:32 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee. I have a filing cabinet that gets all my bumper stickers. :)

Tomorrow I'll post a little photo essay about the package arriving home with me from work.....

1:44 PM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

Love the tale of Minnie.
And I'll be putting my bumper sticker on the window. It won't rip the duco off if I ever need to take it off (why would I do that?)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ohmigod, check out this Koigu stash. WOW.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Whew!

*fans herself with nearest piece of paper*

I need a cigarette.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

We'll never tell Dave...

1:32 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

lol trust a kitty to be the center of attention! Great story!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home