Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Seraphim

The Seraphim Shawl. Ignore crap in lower right hand corner.


A detail of the bottom edge.

This shawl was a delight to make - I was planning my next one before I even had this one off the needles. The pattern is by Mim - go look! Seriously! This thing is gorgeous, and I love the fact that it's a bit different from most shawl patterns out there. I would love to knit her Adamas shawl as well, but that would trigger my "Knitpicks are Evil Because They Won't Ship Overseas No Matter How Much I Beg" rant. And nobody wants that. I knit it in Patonyle sock yarn - it's very soft and very strong and drapes beautifully.

And now we get to why you have photos of Seraphim instead of pictures of the gorgeous yarn that arrived in the mail yesterday (tomorrow, I promise). I finished this a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't blocked it yet - I hadn't really decided whether I was going to keep it or gift it. I often do that with my knitting - I'm not sure who it's for until I've finished it. Anyhoo, I found out yesterday that one of my colleagues - who survived breast cancer and a double mastectomy two years ago - has secondary cancer on her liver and will be off for another round of chemo next week. She's an incredibly strong woman - I don't know how I would take news like that. She's coming into work today to clear up some stuff before she goes into treatment, and I thought of the Seraphim shawl. So I rushed around and blocked last night (first time I ever blocked anything!) and I'll gift it to her this morning.

The cats were keen to help during this process - Dorian was interested in something that is almost exactly the same colour he is, but a bit worried by the fact that it was damp. Meiko loved the fact that it smelled interesting and there were shiny pins all around the edges. Lulu deemed it irrelevant and continued on her way. The T Pins were great, by the way - so much better than the little ones I would normally have used.

Good thing for the day: Meh. I'll have to get back to you on that.
Bad thing for the day: I'm still absolutely exhausted. Why? Why?

5 Comments:

Blogger yarnivorous said...

Bee-yoo-ti-ful shawl! Most excellent gift. Maybe a patonyle chemo cap would work...

7:01 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

It's stunning - what a fabulous gift for your coworker!!

Heh - Chaos loves lying on damp items...

Is the heat wiping you out? It would me.

7:46 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

That's a beautiful shawl. I hope that I will be as talented a knitter as you one day!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

That is a beautiful shawl and what a cool present to give, both for the shawl properties (hugging, comfort etc) and the name. Wow, about your colleague. That is just a rough, rough road.

No, not Adaaaaaamas. I'm dying to knit it but I'm not done w/presents of knitting (Dad's vest), current ongoing (eternal) projects and I'm about to hit my busy busy season. OTOH, what's one more?

Such helpful kittycats.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Aw, thanks guys!
Chris - I think Meiko was keen on giving it the old drop and roll test, and was genuinely indignant when I chased her off. Meiko has a habit of this kind of thing, though - Dave was thawing out some pastry to make a pie for dinner a couple of weeks ago. He came back to the kitchen to check the thawing process - and found the pastry with a series of little paw prints running through it.....

mrspao, you made me blush! And this shawl is not difficult to make - I enjoyed it from beginning to end - the charts are well written and very clear.

Carrie, I have never yet let the number of UFO's lying around deter me from starting new projects. Which, come to think of it, isn't anything to boast about.....

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home