Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Not Dead Yet

I'm not dead yet. I know you'll be glad to hear that. Last night we managed to get what is apparently the last portable air conditioner available in Melbourne. We paid a lot of money for it, but last night as we sat in front of it for its test run, we both thought "Ohmygodthatwassoworthitpassmeanothergingerbeer". It's going to be 40C again on Thursday. We're planning to pick one room of the house, and stay there with the air conditioner all day.

I have no pictures today! But I will be able to take a whole heap more tonight - I want to be able to prove that Dorian does in fact do something apart from lying around waiting to be cuddled.

One of the joys of living in Melbourne has to be taking the tram through the city at lunchtime. Normally I wouldn't venture out in summer, but I had a bookshop voucher burning a hole in my pocket. And I had a burning need to go to Marta's. But I digress. So I'm standing in the tram hanging on to a strap cause its crowded, when I realise that at least half of the people hanging on to straps around me have apparently never heard of deodorant. Yep, a tram ride surrounded by three or four decidedly whiffy armpits conveniently located at face level. The things I do for yarn. And books.

Speaking of books, I am currently reading yet another of the weird, delicious, and utterly compelling books of Haruki Murakami. I discovered this author when I picked up a copy of Kafka on the Shore (mainly, it has to be said, because it had a big black cat on the cover. I'm such a sucker), and I was hooked in less than ten pages. I loaned it to a friend when I was finished, and her comment on it was that she had "drunk up this book as though it was a glass of water and I was thirsty." His novels are just incredible - I've never read anything like them - go find out for yourselves!

Good thing for the day: the little stripy grey kitten who is currently headbutting my hand and purring ecstatically to indicate just how glad she is that I'm here.

Bad thing for the day: Bushfires. I lived with the fear of bushfires when I was a child (several of my friends were burnt out in the Ash Wednesday Fires), and it always sends a shiver of dread down my spine when I read that it's happening again. My thoughts and sympathy are with those who have had to go through the horrible process of having to flee their homes at almost no warning, and then have to wait and wait and wait to find out whether or not they have anything left except the clothes on their backs. And big kudos to those volunteers who were going back into the danger zones to rescue any animals they could find.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The fires sound terrifying!!

I love Haruki Murakami. Have you read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles yet? That's trippy. His non-fiction book Underground is really powerful - it's about the sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subway. I read it after 9/11 and found his insights helpful.

I just took Kafka on the Shore back to the library unread because it was a "hot" book and I couldn't renew it. Guess I'll get back on the waiting list...

6:57 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

I followed a link from Chris' blog and saw all your lovely cat photos. That kitten is really cute.

We don't get much hot weather here in the UK but I can appreciate your sentiments re the aircon. The bush fires sound really scary. Haruki Murakami sounds really interesting - yet another book I've heard about from a blog which I'm going to look out for :)

8:49 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Those bushfires sound scary! Here's hoping that everyone stays safe.

I haven't heard of either the book or the author. Must go check them out.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

I'm glad you like Haruki Murakami Chris - I have only read two of his books and I am very much looking forward to the rest of them. The Wind Up Bird Chronicles was fantastic, and you HAVE TO READ Kafka on the Shore. I just fell into that book and didn't emerge until I was finished. I'll have to go find Underground as well. I loved Japan, and I find his books very evocative.

What is the blog etiquette? Do I reply to your comments on my comments or on yours? Or by email?

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home