Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Entirely Justifiable Stash Enhancement and a BARGAIN

Two balls of Rowan Felted Tweed for a beanie for Dave. He loves tweedy yarn - it took him fifteen minutes of careful consideration in Sunspun the other day to choose just the right one!

And three balls of Jo Sharp DK for my Project Spectrum project. I'm not telling you what the project is, but I will tell you that it will be something I've never knit before, and I'll be using colour in a way I've never done before. Bwahahah. Or something.

And I got the BARGAIN of the decade in an opshop (thrift shop) near where I bought the Jo Sharp: a pair of eight-up Doc Marten boots that had obviously been worn less than half a dozen times. And. They. Fit. Me. Perfectly. Beautiful. And how much did I pay for this pair of boots which will last me the next ten years? FIVE BUCKS. That's around $3.50 in US dollars. I was smug for the rest of the day.

And a political rant: Our Minister for the Environment (popularly known as the Minister for Coal - no kidding, he really is!) has banned a huge series of windfarms because they threaten the habitat of a rare parrot. Despite the fact that the said rare parrot doesn't even fly anywhere near the area of the proposed windfarm, let alone live there. And despite the fact that threatening endangered species has never stopped him FOR A SINGLE FUCKING SECOND approving digging fossil fuels out of the ground using companies owned by his mates. How does this PRICK sleep at night????

Sorry, I'll calm down in a moment or two......

Good thing for the day: We're off to Bendigo to check out the Charles Rennie Mackintosh exhibition. And possibly the Bendigo Wool Mills. Shaddup.

Bad thing for the day: Brain in a fog. I'll try again later.

9 Comments:

Blogger mrspao said...

So Bendigo really is a real place then?

8:17 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Of course it is! What made you think it wasn't?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Ainsley said...

First, let me say that I support green alternatives, but unfortunately Wind Farms fall into the "Not in My Back Yard" category - like any power station, I suppose. I recognise that power stations have to be SOMEWHERE, but that's what the La Trobe Valley is for. :)

I think the wind farm thing is more complicated than what the article lets on. The fed govt may be using the parrot as an excuse, but they are probably doing it to score BIG points with the local community.

The people in the South Gippsland area have been heavily campaigning against the wind farms already errected around Toora for a couple of years. This area is beautiful (near the Wilsons Prom - a very important national park, nowhere near Bendigo.) and the windfarms are seen as marring the view. Unfortunately a lot of our windiest coast lines are also our most scenic (and they are scenic because of native wildlife and big hills).

People are pretty annoyed down their with the State Govt, particularly the lack of consultation. They just sort of came and put them up (all twelve of them supply some 6500 homes.) Sometimes they have to turn them off because it's too windy!! If you've ever driven under a wind farm tower they are pretty loud, they "whoosh". You can here them from a long way away and see them from even further away (like 15km away.) So people in the area are majorly pissed and it's a HOT issue.

So anyway, I reckon the parrot is an excuse in cheap political scoring between the state (labor) and fed (liberal) govts. (Like Eastlink funding and no tolls.) The key loser is the environment and the people in Gippy just win as a by product.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Ainsley said...

Oooh, pretty yarns.

I had forgotten about Sunspun - thanks for reminding me. I was looking for a heavy weight cotton (like more than 4 ply) and I knew Jo Sharp had one, but I wasn't going to send to Sydney and pay $8.60 a ball! But Sunspun has it, yay. I sense a SEX coming soon.

(Sorry about the previous comment, Benji's parents farm is in Toora and it rubs off.)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Oh, fine, Ainsley, just cause you're more politically aware than I am doesn't mean you need to point out what a knee jerk reaction my rant was! Oh, wait, yes it does, doesn't it?

:)

9:02 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

No. Under no circumstances should you calm down...I thought you Aussies had the environmental thing down pat! Anger will keep you at this guy and his cronies. Hasn't he read 40 Signs of Rain?!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Ann, you are joking, aren't you?? Our Glorious Leader still refuses to consider signing the Kyoto protocol!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Our inglorious leader hasn't signed, either. Hello?? Like, without us signing, there's sort of a problem? Hello??

I love thrift shop bargain joy like that!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Ainsley said...

Interestingly enough, some bird watcher "experts" and the state govt are saying the same thing I did in today's news.

(Smug.) :)

I am pro wind power (and green alternatives) I just think they should go someplace ugly (and perhaps bird free). Like in wheat fields. :)

I guess it's just too much to ask that we all do the right things for the right reasons.

I'll go back to my knitting now and keep my head out of political stuff.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home