Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sock Yarn Frenzy


This is the little tin lunchbox I carry my sock kit around in - it comfortably holds a large skein of yarn, a set of dpns, scissors, measuring tape, sewing needles, a finished sock and a sock in progress. I was tired of dragging my sock kit around in a plastic bag - this is far more elegant! And besides, the two headed bat with the top hats appealed to me, and I needed an excuse to buy it.

I went to the gym last night - the first time in a week, and boy could I tell! I did the same workout as usual, but it was harder to get through. And I had to laugh at the pair of girls who were 'working out' together - ie, they were wandering around the women's only room doing a twenty second workout at each machine and giggling a lot. They're going to be so disappointed when this doesn't magically make them fit.

And speaking of gyms - I used to go to a very upmarket gym in another suburb, and the experience was frankly terrifying. The workout was fine, but it was the changing rooms which sorely tested my resolve. I would wander in there, bright red and sweaty, and go about the business of getting changed in a communal area. Which, despite my tragic body image issues, I managed without too much hassle. The problem was, the changing rooms were inevitably filled with very slim, very blonde girls who wandered about wearing very little, calling each other 'darling' and talking to each other about their last skiiing holidays. I was always afraid that one of them would suddenly realise that my pheremones were different, and that the whole hive would then turn on me and rip me to shreds.

Good thing for the day: I am *this* close to finishing the purple socks that it has shamefully taken me almost two months to finish - and then I'm knitting myself a pair with some of the Koigu I got for Valentines.

Bad thing for the day: The stupid sodding bastard underwire in my bra just broke and is now apparently trying to make its way into my ribs.

5 Comments:

Blogger mrspao said...

Between you and Mama_Tulip, you are both making me feel like I can brave the gym and pool again with the body not so beautiful. Keep on going - you have nothing to lose but your pounds. I know what you mean but red and puffy but better red, puffy and healthy.

Get yourself some wadded up toilet tissue and spare yourself the pain. I know that broken underwire thing really well. Ouch.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Your bra has been a part of you so long, it wants to be an additional rib? How sweet. I suppose yanking it off and tossing it is out of the question at the moment? (of blogging, if not the now moment.

I love your sock bag! I want one. Is that.....the Halloween Tim Burton movie?

Gyms. I really should go back to one, but what if I get back into shape? Experience says I'll immediately fall for some completely unsuitable man and blow up my life. (No, I don't learn from my mistakes). My mother is old and feeble (and reading over my shoulder). Her heart can't take it. (Oh, and she says I'm cut out of the will. The things you learn posting on blogs. What? Post all this on my own blog? Pfffft.)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Owwww! *knocks on wood*
I haven't ever had an underwire do that...

I can infinitely not go to the gym, so I work out at home. Or I was, until November. Now I'm trying to ease back into it. Boy, does the fitness go quickly!

Cute sock kit!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Go for it, mrspao! If you can find one, a gym with a ladies only section can be a heck of a lot less confronting - I regularly fall on/off machines, clambering is my usual method of getting on them, and if you hear a crash and an ouch, that's me! All you need to do is around 20mins cardio (bike, treadmill, whatever) and a basic weights routine.
And stuff the body less than beautiful - you do what you want to do! Pao obviously thinks you're hot stuff, and everyone else can go hang! Sorry, I'll stop ranting now.....

Carrie - perhaps it's a weird form of acupuncture? The sock tin is by an artist called Elizabeth McGrath - apparently you can find her on elizabethmcgrath.com - and it was about USD$15. Very cool, and cheap enough that I can carry it around with me and not worry too much if it gets bumped.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love, love that lunchbox. Thanks for the link to the site.

I take it the new gym doesn't have the fake, annoying bunnies from the previous gym. Your posting about visiting the gym is inspiring - keep it up!

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home