Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sock Yarn!


This is the other thing I got from Kpixie - it's Zen Yarn Gardens Tuxedo Royale (Dark). Yum. I love the combinatino of the pinks and the greys - I'm not usually a pink person, but this stuff is goooood.

And I have been tempted mightily by Chris, who slyly pointed out the new addiction initiative by the Socks That Rock people (or, as I like to call them, the Crack that Rocks people). I caved. Instantly. Interestingly, it turns out that it is possible to pay a PayPal invoice with your eyes almost entirely shut so as to avoid seeing the huge amount you just paid for sock yarn.

And, while we're on the topic, I have noticed an interesting quirk of our Customs service: on the rare occasion (HAH!) that I get yarn from overseas, if the sender marks the contents as 'yarn', it goes straight through to be delivered to me. If the sender marks the contents as 'wool', it gets sent to Customs and they open it and inspect it. Apparently an entire Australian Customs service has no idea that 'yarn' and 'wool' are in fact the same thing.

Good thing for the day: I no longer have to knit the Olympic Shawl.
Bad thing for the day: I now have no idea what to knit. My current projects all seem irretrievably boring, but I can't find a new project that doesn't suck. Oh well, off to the blogs for inspiration!

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Heh, I had the same problem when I finished my Olympic knitting. Post-project letdown and gap.

I marked the contents of your package as "yarn" and "candy." I wonder if you'll get the candy?! :)

8:26 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Oh no, I can't remember what I wrote on your customs form! I wrote chocolate - is that forbidden too? I hope that is ok!

I am very tempted by the sock yarn, too....

8:48 AM  
Blogger Peevish said...

The yarn will be fine - and it's sadly debatable whether they'll understand 'candy' - Aussies tend to use 'lollies' instead.

And never fear, MrsPao, it wil get through to me - I'd like to see them try and get between me and a yarn package!!

9:02 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Phew!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I was thinking they might eat the candy. :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Pretty yarn! Wool Whatever. Candy/lollies? Shouldn't lollies be restricted to lollypops?

Yum. Candy.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Miriam said...

SOCKS! They're always a good thing to knit when you're feeling uninspired. I just finished my new shawl design, and a pair of socks, and I was making a baby sweater, but ran out of yarn right before the second sleeve, so I threw up my hands and cast on for a pair of socks. It will keep me busy while the next design is brewing.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Ah, but I cunningly only own one set of sock needles, so I have to finish the poor long suffering pair currently languising on the needles before I can continue. Sigh.

6:49 AM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

There is a difference between yarn and wool. Yarn is the completed thing. It is clean and (generally) free of contaminants.
Wool could mean fleece.
Raw (unwashed, unprocessed) fleece is not allowed into Australia unless it has a certificate of cleanliness (if that makes sense). Customs has to check anything labelled wool in case it is unprocessed. Otherwise nasty bugs or weeds could get in and devastate our industry.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home