Peeve

Knitting. Cats. Books. Mood Swings. Stuff. Heh.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Australia

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My New Sock Knitting System

I have a new sock knitting system. For a long time, I have completely stalled on the sock knitting. Even if I got enthused enough to start a sock, I'd get halfway down the leg, start thinking about the second sock and give up completely.

And y'all, I have a BIG sock yarn stash. Which will get significantly bigger when some of you lovely people take me yarn crawling in a couple of months. Heh.

Anyhoo, I was thinking that if the second sock is what is stalling my sock knitting, why not eliminate the second sock altogether? I've never been a huge fan of matching socks anyway, and I figured that if I knit two socks in the same yarn but different patterns, they'd match enough to satisfy me but still be interesting enough to keep going with.

It's working.

Pics still to come, but in the last week and a half, I've knit and finished three whole socks. And I'm halfway down the leg of the fourth!

Unorthodox? Yep. Weird? Uh huh. Like nails down a blackboard for socks-must-come-in-PAIRS-minded people (*cough* Purplexity*cough*)? Mwahahaah!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Very interesting concept indeed. I suppose you just grab two random socks and off you go! Makes getting dressed in the dark much easier.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Just A Knit Wit said...

Hey if it works, don't knock it!

2:53 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Hehe - I'll look forward to seeing your socks!!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I like the idea from a knitting standpoint but from a wearing-socks standpoint?

Monk! Monk! I neeeeeed you.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I look forward to seeing them! There are some store-bought socks that are sold where the two (or sometimes even three) socks are all in the same colors, but the colors aren't necessarily in the same places. Meaning, in one sock the main part is color A and the toe color B and the heel color C and the other sock the toe might be color A. And so on.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Ainsley said...

Actually, finger nails down a black board doesn't bother me so much.

But as for wearing odd socks? It just doesn't seem right - I mean, how do you know which sock to put on which foot? With pairs, they're the same - but I wouldn't want to favour one of my feet with a texture or colour I liked more than my other foot!

I guess "The sock is on the other foot now" is now a phrase worth thinking about.

Purplexity

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home